Saturday 9 April 2016

Dior Poison Girl First Impression/Review

Hi guys,
So I was lucky enough to receive a sample of the new Dior fragrance, called Poison Girl. Dior have a whole range of these 'Poison' perfumes, including Poison, Hypnotic Poison, Pure Poison and this new addition to their line, but I have not knowingly tried any of them before, so I was excited to give this a shot.

OKAY, so the first thing I'd like to say is that I totally love the packaging. For a sample, it's super cute, and I quite like the bottle, which is a kind of typical girly pink bottle, with the name in plains black font.












It does remind me a wee bit of the Lancome packaging, as they usually feature this rosy colour with a bell (in this case a rose shape) top, but it does remain true to Dior's Poison range, as they all feature a similar shaped bottle. 

On opening the sample, it was a really overwhelmingly sweet smell. My heart sank. It makes me annoyed how recently, with every new perfume that is released, perfume companies think women only want to smell like the pink Refreshers.

No. NO. N O.

This trend is so annoying, and has been seen across the board, with Tresor, La Vie Est Belle (both Lancome), Flowerbomb (Viktor & Rolf, which isn't so bad) and Black Opium (Yves Saint Laurent). You can read about my hatred for Black Opium here.

This is not what I like to go for.
What a disappointment. I sighed and dabbed it onto my wrists and neck, where thankfully it seemed to dull down a bit. The fragrance muted to more like Thierry Mugler's Alien (thank God), but an overly sweet version, since it didn't seem to have the strength of base notes that make Alien itself.

An imitation?
Does it have a saving grace? Yes, the longevity is good, like most Dior's. So good, in fact, that I got a headache and, after 3 hours, went to go and have a shower to wash it off. But if this is your thing, then I can imagine the longevity being a major selling point.

Apparently it's meant for younger lovers of the brand. Well. I guess that's supposed to be me, but it's just so overpowering and sweet... I just don't think it's my thing. Other people may like it, but it's nothing to rave about, and a general wish for perfumeries: please, please, move away from this 'everything must be sickeningly sweet' mentality.
Rant over,
Amber x

No comments:

Post a Comment